ImageCue™ is a compact, easy to use image server that provides control of high definition still images and videos with only twelve channels of DMX512. Each ImageCue™ includes a library of 255 images and videos. In addition, users can supply their own images and videos using a USB flash drive or external solid state drive to provide access to over 65,000 image and video files. ImageCue™ is fast – images and videos are selected and displayed/played in less than a quarter of a second.
You can instantly “bump” from image to image, image to video, video to video, or video to image. Still images can also be crossfaded – with crossfade times of ½ second to 109 minutes in 1/10 second increments. ImageCue™ accepts JPEG files for still images, and H264 (AVI) video files. PNG files with transparency can be overlaid onto images and videos. A software utility to convert user content to H264 is available for the following video file types: MOV, MP4, AVI, MPEG, and VOB. ImageCue™ gives the user full RGB mixing control of the background, and the color mixing can also be used in the foreground to tint images and videos. Full dimming control is provided for the output
ImageCue™ provides the power and elegance to select and display images and videos from your DMX512 lighting console, without the complexity of a media server.
The quality and format of the content you create or use with ImageCue is key to satisfactory performance. We strongly recommend downloading and reading the ImageCue User’s Guide, particularly Section 3 – User Media, BEFORE attempting to use your own content in ImageCue. However, for those of you that just want to jump right in – here are some key points:
- Your content should match the output resolution. Typically this is 1920×1080 pixels. In no case should your content be any larger than 1920×1080 pixels!!! Tall and narrow images should be placed on a 1920×1080 background.
- Your content filenames must not have any space characters. We recommend the “_” underscore character instead of spaces.
- JPEGs cannot be progressive, and should be no larger than 1920×1080 in size. They must be in RGB color space.
- PNG overlays MUST be 1920×1080 or 1280×720 pixels in size depending on output resolution.
- ImageCue scales JPEGs and Videos to fit the output resolution while maintaining aspect ratio. PNG overlays are not scaled.
- Video must be RAW H264. In nearly all cases you will need to use an extraction utility. Renaming a container file such as MOV, MP4, MPEG types to H264 WILL NOT WORK!!
- The USB Flash Drive must have the proper folder and file structure. A template is available below.
To set up your external USB drive download this zip file and unzip it to the root of your USB drive (it cannot be inside a folder). It will create the 255 user folders for you so that you don’t have to type them all in. All of the folders are empty, ready for you to drag and drop your images and videos into them. After unzipping to your USB drive you will have a README.txt file that explains how your image and video files need to be named. The file structure also contains the “png” folder for overlays as well as a folder called “image720” that is used by the system. Do not remove the files named “file_error.jpg” as they are used by ImageCue when the USB Drive is active. Flash Drive Template Zip File Download
All video content must be in a RAW H264 format. Videos encoded with a codec other than H264 must be re-encoded as H264. The ImageCue User’s Guide explains how to determine which codec encoded your video content and how to transcode it if necessary. ImageCue has created a suite of utilities to help you get your content into this format. ImageCue Video Utilities Zip File Download Utility Installation Instructions
ImageCue Model 1.1 User’s Guide
User’s Guide Third Release April 2017
ImageCue Technical Brochure
User’s Guide Section on Playback with Audio
Playback with Audio
ImageCue Quick Start Guide
Quick Start Guide (updated 5 May 2016)
New ImageCue Utility Downloads (updated 13 February, 2017)
ImageMagik Download (install BEFORE downloading other utilities)
GhostScript Download (needed by the PDF utility)
ImageCue User Content USB Utility (allows users to crossfade images and videos with undersize content properly)
ImageCue Stock Image – Video – Overlay Library
Stock Image Library Catalog
NEW ImageCue Techno Image Library
ImageCue Techno Specifications
ImageCue DMX512 Channel Assignments
DMX512 Profile – Personality 1 (updated 27 April 2016)
PowerPoint PDF Utility
ImageCue PowerPoint PDF to JPEG Utility Download